Saturday, April 10, 2010

Reflections on a dream

In mere days, I'll be taking the stage in Orlando for my second pro show. I've come a long, long way from the girl I was in 2004 when I walked into a cheerleading gym with a lot of heart...but zero skills.

The owner of that gym to this day STILL tells anyone who will listen, 'Look at her now! She's a PRO! I remember the first day she walked in here and all she could do was a cartwheel!' That day seems like a decade ago to me..............I've had a lot of injuries, disappointments, setbacks, crushed dreams, and frustrations in the interim, but I've ALSO experienced a lot of personal growth, determination, accomplishment, and self-satisfaction. I started this journey as an insecure, self-conscious, self-professed 'klutz'.............and now? I'm a professional ATHLETE.

I still remember my husband telling me (after I won my pro card), 'Honey, I'm awfully proud of you..........and even though this is a great accomplishment? It's nothing compared to the fact that you're a DOCTOR.' I looked at him (with tears in my eyes) and replied, 'Remember how you felt when you won a swim meet/soccer game/surf contest??? I've never had that feeling. I was always the kid nobody wanted on their team in gym class because I was scared of the ball. For the first time in my life, I can run fast and be powerful and graceful....and it means more to me because I had to WORK for it. Book stuff always came easily.......but this? Blood, sweat, and tears.' Literally:)

I guess you could say fitness has allowed me to grow.....to be the woman I always wanted to be. It's an incredible sport that's helped me 'mature', if you will. It's really NOT about the beautiful costumes or the perfect physique...........for me, it's been a journey of polishing myself from the inside out. I've learned that no one can MAKE me happy; happiness is something I must create. I've learned that I can withstand an enormous amount of stress.......physical and emotional.....and I can find appropriate outlets to handle that stress when given limited resources. And, I've learned that no matter WHAT anyone else says about me? It's what I think of me that matters most.

So, for all you girls who were called clumsy.........or picked last for kickball...........or thought you were too-scared-of-your-own-shadow to try and learn to backflip across a hard floor in a teeny costume for an auditorium full of strangers? This one's for you. You probably won't see me leaving with a trophy next weekend, but I'm okay with that. If I can get out there and kill that routine exactly the way I've practiced it........and inspire one awkward, uncoordinated girl like myself to give this a try???? I'm good.

1 comment:

  1. You definitely inspire me!!!! I can't wait to see your routine!! I hope you put a video of it up later I missed the others *cries* My first love has always been fitness :) I would LOVE to do a fitness competition someday. Wishing you the best, I know your going to kill it!!! :D

    ReplyDelete