Friday, April 2, 2010

CHANGE

I'll be the first to admit I do NOT like change. Nope, I'm one of those people who likes the comfortable routine of a familiar, comfortable life.

As an emergency physician, I think that has a lot to do with it. When I'm at work? Every day is different. I never know what's coming through the ambulance doors....I'm always on my toes. So, in my personal life? I think I NEED that calm to balance me out.

One of my co-workers told me about a locum tenems job (basically, part time/last minute) in a busy ER that pays RIDICULOUSLY well. 'What's the catch?' I asked....because, when something's too good to be true, isn't there ALWAYS a catch? Well, the catch is that on one of my glorious days off from work......when I have my heart set on doing other things.....my phone may ring..and I have to drive 2 hours each way to work a 12 hour shift in a brutally busy ER. Um.....no thanks. Again, don't like change. I don't handle it well. I can't even imagine waking up, going about my usual meandering 0ff-day routine (leisurely breakfast, workout, shopping, errands, doggie time, etc.).....only to be thrown completely off-kilter by a single phone call. No matter what it pays, I'm not interested. He was flabbergasted.

Seriously, though...why would I do something that is going to grind my gears? (LOL...I've been dying to say that after watching Family Guy the other night..haha) 5 years ago? I would've jumped on the chance to make a quick buck. Today? Not so much.

Back onto the original topic of change, though. I was forced to find a new gymnastics coach at 2 weeks out from Orlando Pro. (My old coach got a dream job and moved to Cali.) I spent most of the morning today stewing about it and getting all anxious. Am I going to like the new coach? Is he any good? Will he think I'M any good? So, I walk into the gym today with no clue what to expect and probably the worst attitude possible. Imagine my surprise when I had a GREAT practice???!!!!!??? Shocking. Me, Miss 'Know it all' got punked! The new coach was amazing!!!! No, he's not the old familiar coach who knows what tumbling I"m going to throw (LOL or NOT throw) based on my posture and facial expression....BUT.......he was great just the same. He gave me a fresh perspective that basically injected me with a new energy! And, who doesn't need energy and enthusiasm at 2 weeks out from a show, right?

So, I killed it today. I mean, KILLED IT. I don't know where the stamina came from to do half the stuff I did, but it was there.....and it was clean.....and it was FUN. I don't know where the trust came from to tumble the way I did with someone new, but I think it came from within. After all, I trust ME. I've only done this routine 50,000 times in practice. I've done the tumbling and power moves hundreds of thousands of times and (obviously) survived.

It's a hard thing to do to change gears at 2 weeks out. But, somehow? I did it. AFter this, showtime is gonna be a cakewalk. (mmmm cake!!! PS...if anyone is coming to Orlando Pro, feel free to bring me cake. Or cookies. Or brownies. I'm not really that picky.)

No comments:

Post a Comment